- 1 Top-Rated Handheld Massager Reviews
- 1.1 1 Pure-Wave CM5 Extreme Cordless Percussion Massager
- 1.2 2 Brookstone Max 2 Cordless Dual-Node Percussion Massager
- 1.3 3 NURSAL Handheld Deep Percussion Massager
- 1.4 4 WAHL 4290-300 Deep Tissue Percussion Massager
- 1.5 5 Ohuhu Percussion Electric Massager
- 1.6 6 Naipo Handheld Percussion Massager with Heating
- 1.7 7 Gideon Handheld Vibrating Percussion Massager
- 1.8 8 TheraRub Massager Percussion Electric Massager
- 2 A Complete Buying Guide For Handheld Massagers
- 3 The Healing Benefits Of Hand Held Massagers
- 4 Best Handheld Massagers Comparison Chart
- 5 Wrap Up
Using a handheld massager can have multiple benefits. It can relieve the pain in your muscles, and it can help with your lower back problems.
But did you know that using a handheld percussion massager can make your skin look better?
In the following article, we present the top 8 handheld massager reviews of 2018. These models are the best in their price categories, and they provide comfortable and enjoyable massages.
In the second part of the article, we explain how these units work and the benefits of using their various features. We hope this will help you make an informed decision when looking for the best handheld massager.
Top-Rated Handheld Massager Reviews
- Pure-Wave CM5 Extreme Cordless Percussion Massager
- PRICE $$$
- Size: 14.75 x 2.75 x 4 inches
- Massage Speed: 3700 RPM
- Massage Attachments: 3
- Weight: 1.65 lbs
- Brookstone Max 2 Cordless Dual-Node Percussion Massager
- PRICE $$$$
- Size: 13 x 6 x 6.5 inches
- Massage Speed: 2550 RPM
- Massage Attachments: 1
- Weight: 3.8 lbs
- NURSAL Handheld Deep Percussion Massager
- PRICE $$
- Size: 3.9 x 1.3 x 3.4 inches
- Massage Speed: 3600 RPM
- Massage Attachments: 6
- Weight: 2.4 lbs
- WAHL 4290-300 Deep Tissue Percussion Massager
- PRICE $$
- Size: 16 x 6.5 x 10.9 inches
- Massage Speed: 3550 RPM
- Massage Attachments: 4
- Weight: 3 lbs
1 Pure-Wave CM5 Extreme Cordless Percussion MassagerThe Pure Wave CM5 is one of the best cordless handheld massagers on the market. This model comes with a lithium battery that can last for up to 3 hours, depending on the massage features you use.
The CM5 has a good design that will allow you to reach every part of your back. The unit’s handle is easy to grab, and the massager is not too heavy to wield comfortably.
One of the advantages of using this model is that it comes with a powerful motor. The motor will produce up to 3,700 pulses per minute, so you will enjoy a very rough massage if you want to.
Overall, this is one of the best handheld massagers on the market.
2 Brookstone Max 2 Cordless Dual-Node Percussion MassagerOne of the advantages of using the Brookstone Max 2 is that it comes with a beautiful aluminum body. The aluminum body not only makes the massager aesthetically pleasing, but it also makes it more durable.
This cordless massager comes with a battery that can last for up to three hours. The personalized massage programs and adjustable speed settings make the Max 2 very easy and comfortable to use.
Even though it’s battery-operated, this handheld massager can produce a very good deep-tissue massage.
This is currently one of the best handheld massagers that are available on the market.
3 NURSAL Handheld Deep Percussion Massager
The NURSAL handheld percussion massager is one of the best units in its price category. This model comes with 6 interchangeable massage heads so it can produce a relieving massage for every part of your body.
A good thing about this handheld massager is that it comes with 2 massage nods that can be used with massage oils and lotions. Using oils and lotions can stimulate your muscle relaxation and improve your health.
The massager also uses a heated massage feature. This feature can work the knots in your muscles, and it produces a relaxing massage experience.
Overall, this is a good massager that’s worth its price.
Read more: NURSAL Handheld Deep Percussion Massager
4 WAHL 4290-300 Deep Tissue Percussion MassagerIf you’re looking for a good handheld massager that comes at a decent price, you should take a closer look at the WAHL 4290-300. This model has a simple design that makes it very easy to use, yet very effective as well.
The handheld massager comes with 4 massage nodes that have different designs. Each massage node is designed to produce a special kind of massage, so changing them during the massage session will provide a lot of benefits.
Thanks to its well-thought design, the unit is easy to wield despite its somewhat large appearance.
This is a very good handheld massager, especially if you take its price into consideration.
- Ohuhu Percussion Electric Massager
- PRICE $
- Size: 15.5 x 5.5 x 7.1 inches
- Massage Speed: 2800 PPM
- Massage Attachments: 3 sets
- Weight: 2.4 lbs
- Naipo Handheld Percussion Massager with Heating
- PRICE $$
- Size: 17.5 x 3.7 x 3.7 inches
- Massage Speed: 2800 PPM
- Massage Attachments: 3
- Weight: 2.6 lbs
- Gideon Handheld Vibrating Percussion Massager
- PRICE $$
- Size: N / A
- Massage Speed: 3500 PPM
- Massage Attachments: 3
- Weight: 2.4 lbs
- TheraRub Massager Percussion Electric Massager
- PRICE $$
- Size: 14 x 7 x 4 inches
- Massage Speed: 3260 PPM
- Massage Attachments: 3 sets
- Weight: 2.6 lbs
5 Ohuhu Percussion Electric MassagerThe Ohuhu percussion massager has a simple yet effective design. This unit uses two massage nodes at the same time to simulate the hand movements of a massage professional.
One of the advantages of using this model is that it comes with three sets of massage heads and a customizable speed setting. The massage heads are easy to change, and you will be able to do so in mere seconds. This will allow you to customize and modify every massage session to your liking.
As a bottom line, this is an effective massager that can be used with massage oils to alleviate your pain.
6 Naipo Handheld Percussion Massager with HeatingThe Naipo handheld massager is a good unit that comes at a decent price. This model has a nice design that will provide a good reach, and it comes with three interchangeable massage heads.
One of the advantages of using this massager is that it comes with a heated massage feature. This feature will spread warmth onto your back, and it will relax your muscles. Using this feature regularly is a very effective way of getting rid of the tension and knots that build up in your muscles throughout the day.
Overall, this is a nice handheld massager that’s capable of producing a deep-tissue massage.
Read more: Naipo Handheld Percussion Electric Massager
7 Gideon Handheld Vibrating Percussion Massager
The Gideon handheld percussion massager has an interesting design. Unlike other handheld models, this unit comes with 3 large massage heads. Each massage head has a different design, and each will provide other benefits.
One of the advantages of using this model is that it’s very powerful. The massager’s power can be adjusted to your needs, and you will be able to use it on different parts of your body with good results.
Another advantage is that one of the massage heads has a scraper effect, so you can use it to enhance the aspect of your skin.
This is a good handheld massager with an interesting design that’s well worth its price.
8 TheraRub Massager Percussion Electric MassagerThe TheraTub massager is specially designed to massage aching muscles. This unit comes with three different sets of massage heads to provide a good massage experience.
Thanks to its interchangeable massage heads and the adjustable speed setting, this massager can produce a very pleasant, if somewhat rough, massage experience.
One of the advantages of using this model is that it comes with a very long power cord. The power cord is 14-foot long, so you won’t have any problems moving the massager from one part of your body to another.
The bottom line is, this is a good handheld massager that can provide very thorough massages.
A Complete Buying Guide For Handheld Massagers
Finding the best handheld massager might not be as simple as you’d think. As you could see in our short reviews, every model comes with a certain set of features. These features can either be helpful for you or not. Manufacturers know that not everyone is looking for the same features, and they try to make the best possible combinations to have more customers.
In the following section, we explain how the different features of handheld massagers work, and how they can benefit you.
Features To Look For When Buying A Handheld Massager
Each type of massage technique has different benefits. Even though handheld massagers don’t offer the number of massage techniques you would get from larger massagers, such as massage cushions, chair pads, or massage chairs, they can still provide a good massage. Here’s a list of massage techniques you’re most likely to encounter when buying a handheld unit.
- Kneading – When it’s performed by a professional masseur, the kneading massage technique involves the compression of your soft tissues against the underlying bone structures or against one another. The masseur manages to do this using his fingers and palms.The handheld massager will produce this massage using the massage head attachments. These attachments will push your muscles against your bone structure, and the more you push the massager against your skin, the more intense you will feel the massage.Kneading massage is recommended for the treatment of tight muscles, it aids in pain relief, and it increases your muscles’ flexibility.
- Tapping – When it’s performed by a professional masseur, the tapping massage technique involves pounding and striking actions that the masseur applies with his fists.The handheld massager manages to simulate this movement using the massage heads. The attachments will strike your body repeatedly, stimulating your blood flow and increasing your muscle’s elasticity and the local temperature.
- Percussion – When it’s performed by a professional masseur, the percussion massage involves rapid movements from the wrists that hit the body alternately with each hand.The handheld massager simulates these movements by performing sequences of short movements that hit your muscles. The sequences can change or not, depending on the model.Percussion massage stimulates both the skin and the muscle reflexes. This massage improves the local blood circulation, and it relaxes your muscles.Percussion is probably the best massage technique you can find in handheld models.
Using heat therapy is probably one of the best ways to unwind after a long day at work. Heat therapy promotes comfort and relaxation, and it can also take the edge off some aches and pains.
One of the advantages of using heat therapy is that it can be an effective treatment for stiffness and cramping. Of course, heat therapy can also be used with good results for other conditions, such as
- Exertion Soreness – Even if you’re used to exercising regularly, trying a new type of training can lead to exertion soreness. Most people who like to ski or snowboard experience this sensation after their first day on the slope.Heat therapy is one of the best ways to get rid of exertion soreness. Thanks to the warmth, your muscles will relax and the lactic acid level will be lowered, allowing you to perform better on your second day of skiing.
- Muscle Knots – Muscle knots can often produce a dull and constant pain. The knots in your muscles can sometimes be so uncomfortable they determine you to change your posture, which in turn can lead to other muscle knots or cramping.When you use heat therapy on a muscle knot, the results won’t fail to appear. You might not notice anything at first, but as soon as your muscle warms up properly, it will begin to relax. As the muscle relaxes, the knot will disappear and you will feel like another person.
- Painful Muscles – Sometimes your muscles can be so sore you can’t even tell which muscles hurt and which don’t. This usually happens when you’re sleep deprived or when you have vitamin D deficiency. Some people can experience this feeling when they have the flu or the cold.Most of the times, these muscle pains are produced by the tension accumulated in your muscles. The heat therapy can make your muscles relax and relieve the tension.Handheld massagers are the perfect choice for this situation because they can be moved from one part of your body to another quickly, and they are comfortable to use even when you’re feeling sick.
- Lower Back Pain – Most people experience lower back pain at least once in their lives. However, some people experience it more often than others, and in a more significant way.Whether you spend a lot of time sitting or you spend a lot of time standing, you’re more likely to suffer from lower back pain.The problem with lower back pain is that it’s very difficult to get rid of. Well, thankfully, heat therapy can be a good solution to this problem.Heat therapy improves the local blood circulation which allows more blood to reach the muscles surrounding your spine. Your muscles benefit from getting more nutrients and more oxygen, so they start to heal.Thanks to its relaxing effect, heat therapy will also relieve your muscles of tension. Without being tense, your muscles will feel better, and they will regain some of their old flexibility.
A handheld massager that has an adjustable speed setting is more versatile than one that doesn’t. Changing the speed will allow you to personalize your massage setting and experience.
If you’re in the mood for a relaxing massage, you can set the massager at its lowest speed and get one. If you’re in a mood for a rougher massage, you can simply set the massager at a higher speed. This can be a very valuable feature in the long run.
The number of attachment heads the handheld massager has can determine how you can use the unit. Most manufacturers provide more attachment heads or nods with their products, and each nod produces a different massage experience.
Using a massager that comes with multiple attachment heads and an adjustable speed setting will allow you to customize your massage sessions and tailor them to your needs.
Here are the main types of attachment heads you’re likely to find when buying a handheld massager.
- Kneading Massage Head – The kneading massage head is specially designed to provide a deep-tissue massage. Even though different manufacturers present this massage head under different names to avoid copyright infringements, they all work in a similar way.This massage head is usually somewhat narrow, or it has a narrow point. This attachment will push harder and reach farther under your muscles when you use it. The massage head’s design allows it to slide on the surface of your muscles and push against the points with low resistance. This will make them reach deeper and produce a more thorough massage experience.
- Wide Massage Head – Again, this massage head might have a different name, depending on the handheld massager you choose. The wide massage head is designed to produce a soothing massage.As you can probably imagine, this massage head is not suited for deep-tissue massages. It has a smooth surface that will produce a comfortable touch, and every massage session you get will be relaxing.
- Roller Head – The roller head is specially designed to provide a firm massage, but it won’t provide a deep-tissue one. This attachment head usually has multiple small bits coming out of it, and it will stimulate your local blood circulation.This massage head is perfect for your day-to-day massage sessions. While the massage attachment won’t provide a deep-tissue massage, it will still provide a massage powerful enough to stimulate your muscles and relax them afterward.
- Scraper Head – The scraper massage head is designed to make your skin look better. This massage head will gently remove the dead skin cells off your body, so the skin will look healthier.This massage head is also very effective at stimulating the blood circulation under your skin. Thanks to the increased blood flow, the skin will receive more nutrients and it will look better.
- Scalp Massage Head – Some models come with a scalp massager. While this attachment head is not as effective as scalp massagers that are specially designed for this task, it will still manage to perform a relaxing and comfortable massage.If you’re willing to use the handheld massager, always make sure you read the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations beforehand. Some attachment heads should not be used under certain conditions.
A handheld massager’s portability is determined by the presence or absence of a power cord and of that power cord’s length.
- High Portability – Cordless units are the most portable handheld massagers. These units can be used anywhere if they’re charged. You can use them at home, you can use them while you’re lounging in your backyard, and you can use them while you’re at work.
- Medium Portability – Some handheld massagers come with long power cords. Some models come with power cords that are 14 feet long. These cords are long enough to allow you to move around the power outlet they use, so they offer a pretty good portability.
- Low Portability – Handheld massagers that come with short power cords offer a low portability. Some models have power cords that are only 3 – 4 feet long. This is a disadvantage, as you will have to stay near a power outlet or an extension cord every time you want to use the massager.
As you could see in our short reviews, using handheld massagers offers different advantages. One of them is that you can use these massagers on most of your body. But a massager’s versatility is influenced by several features.
- Design – One of the first things you have to take into consideration when you’re looking for a handheld massager is the design. Not all manufacturers use the same design, and some are better than others.Elongated massagers are usually very good at reaching difficult spots. They tend to have a slimmer body which will allow you to grab the handle with ease, and they are usually easy to wield. These models usually use only one massage head, so you will have to take your time if you want to massage a larger part of your body.Short massagers are usually very easy to wield. They have a comfortable handle that is easy to hold, and they can reach most of your back without any problems. However, you might find it difficult to reach certain spots on your body when you use these models, especially if your hands are not very long.Wide massagers are very effective. Instead of using one or two massage nodes, these models use a single wide one. The wide massage attachment usually contains several smaller units that work in unison to produce a comfortable massage. These units are very effective at covering large surfaces in quick succession, and they will massage your whole body in no time whatsoever.
- Massage Heads – As you could probably notice until now, some handheld massagers use a single massage head while others use two. Both have advantages over the other, but let’s see what they are. Single head massagers usually have the better reach. They’re more efficient at massaging just the right spot, so they can be very helpful for people who suffer from muscle knots and cramps. Some models use wide attachment heads, so they will massage a large surface in a short time, but most of them use narrow attachment heads. The narrow attachment heads will make a slow progress over a large surface, so they might not be the best choice for impatient people. Double head massagers usually have a shorter but a wider reach. They’re more efficient at massaging a larger surface. They can be very good for people who suffer from muscle pains because they can work a group of muscles from two different angles at the same time. Since these models are better at covering large surfaces, they might be a better choice for people who have little patience.
- Weight – The weight of the handheld massager plays a key role in its versatility. You might buy a top-of-the-line product, but if it’s too heavy for you to hold comfortably, you won’t be able to use it to its full potential.You should know that handheld massagers are specially designed to be a little heavier than you would expect because of the following reasons. The weight makes the massager more stable when the motor is working at a higher speed. If the unit would have a powerful motor and a low weight, it would shake and rattle when you would use it. The extra weight offers you the possibility to change the massage intensity. Sure, you can change the motor’s speed and that will also change the intensity. But when you push against the massager, it is able to penetrate more into your body and provide a deep-tissue massage. If the massager would be very light, it wouldn’t feel comfortable when you would push it against your muscles.However, you should always make sure you will be able to use the massager comfortably before buying a model. You could test this by filling a bottle of water and trying to bring it over your back. If the water bottle feels too heavy, think about how a working massager would feel. Not too comfortable, most likely.
- Power Cord Length – The power cord’s length also plays a role in the unit’s versatility. As you can imagine, a unit with a shorter power cord will be less versatile. Here’s why.Not only will a short power cord make you use an extension cord or stay near a power outlet when you use the massager, but it might also interfere when you want to change the massager’s position.If you want to change the power cord from one place to another, the power cord can sometimes get in the way. This can be frustrating, so it would be better if the power cord was longer.Of course, cordless units don’t have these problems unless their batteries are depleted. When they’re operating on batteries, these units are very versatile. When they’re connected to their chargers, they have a limited versatility because the chargers usually have a short power cord.
- Massage Attachments – Not all the massage attachments are designed to work on every part of your body. In fact, some of them are rather uncomfortable when you try to use them on sensitive spots.Having a model that comes with multiple attachment heads is an advantage because it offers more chances of finding a good attachment head for every part of your body, sensitive or not.
The Healing Benefits Of Hand Held Massagers
Using handheld massagers can provide multiple health benefits.
- Has A Relaxing Effect – Using handheld massagers can have a relaxing effect, and not only on your muscles. Using a massager can lower your stress levels and relax your mind as well.
- Good For Muscle Pain – Handheld massagers are very effective at treating muscle pain. They improve your local circulation and make your muscle relax, so they will relieve the pain.
- Help With Lower Back Pain – Using a handheld massager can help with your lower back pain. These massagers stimulate the local blood circulation, so the muscles around your spine will receive more oxygen and nutrients. This will increase their ability to fix themselves, and it will also increase their elasticity and flexibility, making you feel better.
- Can Improve Your Sleep – Thanks to their relaxing effect, handheld massagers can make you sleep better. Your stress levels are significantly lowered after a 10 – 20 minutes massage session, so you will sleep more comfortably
- Good For Exertion Soreness – Exertion soreness can appear when you start exercising or you change your training regimen. This type of muscle pain can also appear at certain times during the year when you pick up surfing or skiing for example. By stimulating your muscles, the handheld massagers can help you deal with exertion soreness, especially if they use heated therapy.
- Improve Local Blood Circulation – Handheld massagers activate your muscles and stimulate the local blood circulation. This can treat your aching muscles, and it can also help with your painful joints.
- Make Your Skin Look Better – By stimulating the blood circulation under the skin, the handheld massagers can make your skin look better. This aspect can also be enhanced by some models that come with attachment heads that work as skin scrapers.
Best Handheld Massagers Comparison Chart
|Pure-Wave CM5 Extreme Cordless Percussion Massager||$$$||14.75 x 2.75 x 4 inches||3700 RPM||3||1.65 lbs|
|Brookstone Max 2 Cordless Dual-Node Percussion Massager||$$$$||13 x 6 x 6.5 inches||2550 RPM||1||3.8 lbs|
|NURSAL Handheld Deep Percussion Massager||$$||3.9 x 1.3 x 3.4 inches||3600 RPM||6||2.4 lbs|
|WAHL 4290-300 Deep Tissue Percussion Massager||$$||16 x 6.5 x 10.9 inches||3550 RPM||4||3 lbs|
|Ohuhu Percussion Electric Massager||$||15.5 x 5.5 x 7.1 inches||2800 PPM||3 sets||2.4 lbs|
|Naipo Handheld Percussion Massager with Heating||$$||17.5 x 3.7 x 3.7 inches||2800 PPM||3||2.6 lbs|
|Gideon Handheld Vibrating Percussion Massager||$$||N / A||3500 PPM||3||2.4 lbs|
|TheraRub Massager Percussion Electric Massager||$$||14 x 7 x 4 inches||3260 PPM||3 sets||2.6 lbs|
We hope that our comprehensive buying guide helped you find the best handheld massager for your needs. As you could see, each manufacturer tries to incorporate as many features as possible in a single unit, but you might not need all of them.
We’re sure that after reading our handheld massager reviews, you can tell which model is better suited to your particular needs. Some people might enjoy a model that provides a rougher massage, while others might one that comes with a heated massage feature.
Keep in mind that you should look for the features you would like to use. There’s no sense in buying the most powerful handheld massager if you’re only going to use it for relaxation purposes.